Re: memory

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:02:54 GMT

Depends upon the OS. 32 bit OS is probably limited to 2 gigs of ram and 64 bit os is probably limited by your pocketbook (I've heard of 500 gig ram for a database).
It will use all the cpu's that the OS allows and that you have. There is probably a limit. Since the largest the database can be is something like 500 petabytes. (a petabyte is 1000 terabytes) And since I think a tablespace is limited to something like a 1,024 files (and there can only be 1024 tablespaces I think) and the system tablespace has a limitation. But the number would be huge.( 488 terabytes per tablespace and if each object takes up 1K (probably less) then there is proabably a limit of around 500,000,000,000 objects which seems adaquate for most purposes. If each object only takes 500 bytes then we have 1,000,000,000,000 objects. Jim