Re: Max size for a datafile

From: Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:29:06 GMT

In article <995833319.21887.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl says...

>on many Unixes the limit is 2G. Beyond that your tablespace is going to
>consist of multiple datafiles

Well, that's not quite true anymore. Most modern UNIXes are 64 bits; it's only the ones that are 32bits that have the two gig filesize limit. As I understand it, Oracle 7.X had a two gig filesize limit regardless of UNIX version. I've never bothered to do the math on what a 64bit OS can address; it's occasionally hiding in the docs somewhere - either way, it's a big file - well into the terabyte range.

Doug

--
Douglas K. O'Leary