Re: Splitting a table after it is created?

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:45:25 GMT

On 18 Jul 2001 20:43:56 -0700, turboridelover_at_yahoo.com (DrowningPeople) wrote:

>My table has 502 attributes. I've created this single table and have
>loaded
>all the data in it.
>
>Now I'm thinking of splitting it. Can I ask oracle to do it for me? or
>do I have to create new tables and load all the data again?
>
>(I'm very new to oracle, sorry if its a stupid question)
>
>Alicia

Hi Alicia,

Dont' worry, it's easily done :

If you have the table

mytab with columns c1,c2....c502'

And you want to split the columns into 2 tables,You can issue the following :

create table mytab_1 as (select c1,c2......c251 from mytab); create table mytab_2 as (select c251,c253....c502); drop table mytab;

Regards,
Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
Oracle DBA