Re: New Instance

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:46:40 +0200

"Tom Brown" <tom.brown_at_goodtechnology.com> wrote

> Can anyone point me in the direction of a howto with
> regard to setting up a new instance on Oracle 8.1.7

I think this topic is discussed in detail with examples in the Server Ref manual.

The basic steps are:

  1. Create an initXXX.ora file for the instance.
  2. Do a startup, nomount, pointing the pfile to the initXXX.ora file.
  3. Issue the CREATE DATABASE command.
  4. Create temp tablespace and rollback segments.
  5. Create user data and index tablespaces.
  6. Run CATPROC and other PL/SQL packages to create the data dictionary and DBMS packages you need.
  7. Create the users.
  8. Configure the listener.

Oh yeah, and remember to change the SYS and SYSTEM passwords.

--
Billy