Re: import / export problem

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:30:34 GMT

On 6 Jul 2001 03:25:52 -0700, daud11_at_hotmail.com (Daud) wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a dmp file export from 8.1.7 - character set US7ASCII.
>I am trying to import back into another database, 8.0.6 on NT with a
>different character set - WE8ISO8859P1 but I could not get it to work
>because of the character set problem. Is there anyway I can fix it?
>
>rgds
>Daud

Hi Daud,

Importing a 8.1.7 Export file into an older version database will most likely cause problems in any case. That is probably what causes your problems, not the difference in charsets. An obvious solution is to upgrade your 8.0 database.

Regarding the charset "problem" : Since US7ASCII and WE8ISO8859P1 both are 1-byte charsets, Oracle will automaticallly do the conversion when importing (see on-line documentation for further details).

Regards,
Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
Oracle DBA