The tone of this group (WAS) Re: Oracle 9i first impressions.

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:32:20 GMT

On Sun, 08 Jul 2001, dontsendmemail_at_bogusmailaddress.com wrote:

> Apparently the poster's intent (on this thread) was to start
> his own thread and not search an old one. If you feel annoyed
> that you have to repeat yourself then simply don't. You are
> not obligated. Let other helpful posters do the job.

I see good and bad with how this group reacts to newbie posters and those that haven't even tried in the least to familiarize themselves with the group. On the one hand, I see nothing wrong with telling somebody, "Hey, check out Google. There are a bunch of threads already discussing this". But when someone says, "This has already been discussed numerous times", then the tone is more saying, go away until you have found and read what I would consider reasonable reading material". I think many of the responses in this group are much more along the lines of "Go away until you have read" than, "Hey, read such and such first".

Two distinctly different tones. Both trying to do what everybody says they are trying to do, ie "Teach a man to fish" ... but the second is much more inviting to the poster. Most people that hear, "hey read this first", will gladly do so and then probably, down the road, become valuable posters to this group. But, instead, I think some people that get the "Go away until you have read" response, will probably never read anything and never be back as well.

I opt for being nicer to people.

--
Galen
I don't want to be the rock.  Yeah, okay, what do you want to be?