Re: ODBC Oracle-Access

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:37:50 GMT

"Andreas Jaendl" <andreas.jaendl_at_weihenstephan.org> wrote in message news:9iouda$1r9$06$2_at_news.t-online.com...
> We have an application running on linked tables in Access 2000 and there
 is
> a problem in datatype mapping. Number(0,0) datatypes are mapped to text
 and
> other numbers with fixed length (e.g. number (10,2)) are mapped to Access
> datatype decimal (10,2), which would be correct. However we cannot update
 or
> insert numbers with decimal places but get Oracle error 01722 (invalid
> number). Is there a workaround to this problem or does anyone else know
> about it? We encountered it with Oracle 8.1.5 Personal edition and Oracle
> 8.1.6 enterprise edition databases.
>
> Thanks for any help, Andreas Jaendl

ODBC drivers have always been extremely flaky. What does work in one version might not work with another, or might not work with a driver of a different vendor.
You don't specify which driver you are using (vendor and version please)

!!! This is why I initially didn't respond to your query, which -IIRC- you now resubmit
!!!

For now the only thing you can do is trace your queries on both sides: enable trace in the ODBC administrator and enable sql_trace for the Oracle database.
There might be some generic rule as to which queries are failing and whether the conversion happens at the client or the server. If the former, the driver is at fault, if the latter submit a TAR with Oracle.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:37:50 CDT