Re: ora-12500

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:30:51 GMT

"Matthias Gresz" <matthias_at_iffze.de> wrote in message news:Qcm17.9727$Kf3.107694_at_www.newsranger.com...
> Hi,
>
> got some problem with ora-12500.
>
> os: NT4 SP6a German
> oracle emterprise V7.3.3 (yes it's very, very old an we will migrate soon
> 8.1.6.3.1)
>
> We often get ora-12500. Users have to try several times to get connected
 to the
> database. Getting ora-12500 starts after there were about 1050 sessions
 open in
> the database. The question is now: is this a problem of oracle and we will
 get
> loose after migrating to 8i? Is there a work around? Will problem persist
 since
> it's a problem of NT?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Matthias

1050 sessions is way too much for dedicated server operation. Are all those session active? (refer to the status column in v$session) If so, you might want to consider whether you should continue using NT. You definitely should switch to multithreaded server, which is not available on NT with 7.3.3, but is available for Oracle 8 and higher.

You have two workarounds:
- assuming many of those sessions are defunct, and aren't doing anything, set sqlnet.expire_time to 10 (minutes) in sqlnet.ora. Or write a job to regularly kill them
- switch to MTS

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:30:51 CDT