Re: 9IAS installation is driving me INSANE

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:25:44 GMT

in article 6sw07.22071$C81.1742261_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, brad more at theodatus_at_blackdogs.com wrote on 7/3/01 8:54 PM:

> Has anyone managed to install over 8.1.7.0 standard?
>
> Here's my setup:
>
> 1. 2 x Win2k servers on the same domain.
> 2. I am the system administrator on both
> 3. Install 8.1.7.0 SE on server one without difficulty
> 4. Create nice little database on server one that meets pre-requisites for
> Origin database (or at least as far as I can tell)
> 5. Attempt to install 9IAS minimal (I'm not picky, at this point I'll take
> minimal, standard or enterprise) on server number two.
>
> I have been able to get one install to complete succesfully. The
> interesting thing is that the failure seems to be for various reasons, not
> the same one over and over. Most prevalent is "Function-Based indexes not
> enabled"
>
> Does ANYONE have a tip / tutorial / moron's guide to getting this install to
> work?
>
> r/brm

There is an Oracle9i By Example (OBE) installation tutorial available at http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/htdocs/9ipak/9iobe_in/9ias/install/i nstall.html that may help

In addition, there is an OBE on managing the data cache at http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/htdocs/9ipak/mng/dbcache/dbcache.htm l

Also - I'm not 100% sure where or even if there is a dependency on function based indexes in iAS, but function based indexes is an EE feature (in Oracle8i, at least - this changes in Oracel9i SE). If you have support, log an iTar and see if this is a known problem (they may have a workaround), or alternatively try downloading and installing 8.1.7 EE as the origin database. Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:25:44 CDT