Re: OCP Tests...what's the best order

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:33:05 GMT

 No, I didn't think you were trying to trivialize the content of the test. I was just whining about having to memorize stuff that is not likely to be used very often outside of the initial configuration. I agree that being exposed to the ideas is a good thing but which button do I select next seems a bit silly. If I were to try and set up MTS and Connection Manager I think I would have a book handy unless I had done it 20+ times already. ( at that point I would also have my own notes and checklist for the procedure to work from)

  As a mater of fact I am taking it out of sequence. I have done the SQL and Performance tuning test already. The only reason I am doing this one now is that it was also included in the Sybex manual. I do think I would have done better to have started with architecture and admin but I needed the performance tuning information for what I was doing at work. That type of information I found very useful, knowing which step comes next in the GUI by rote seems to be a silly exercise. If you want my opinion of the usefulness of the certifications themselves, that would be another message. ( I already have the 2 developer OCPs.)

Chris

Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3b4d2c29_at_news.iprimus.com.au...
> I had no intention of implying that the Network course was a mere matter
 of
> editing three text files, as though that were trivial. *HOW* you edit
 those
> files is pretty damn tricky, and you need to understand a lot to make it
> work, and to understand what it is that you are switching on or off.
>
> It also happens to be the last course that any Oracle DBA Instructor is
> allowed to teach. Pretty tricky, evidently.
>
> My point was simply that the course *does* consist of text file editing,
> largely. That there is no need to know the intricate workings of rollback
> segments or deferred constraints before you can make sense of it; that an
> in-depth knowledge of the arguments surrounding the choice of a
> db_block_size are not necessary; that wondering whether PCTUSED and
 PCTFREE
> have been set correctly is redundant.
>
> The course does not require that sort of knowledge, and can thus be taken
> (as far as I can work out) pretty much whenever you feel like it. I'd
> recommend the DBA Part 1 course first (so you know what it is you are
 trying
> to connect to!), but it isn't strictly necessary.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> "Chris Boyle" <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com> wrote in message
> > I am currently studying for the network exam using the Sybex book and
 STS
> > test. I wish it were as simple as editing 3 text files. I am finding a
 lot
> > of questions related to the Net8 assistant and what do you click on next
 at
> > a particular step (for 8i it is recommended that you do not directly
 edit
> > the text files.). I think most of this type of stuff is garbage rote
> > memorization. Who cares? I don't see having to constantly change
 network
> > settings being a big issue. Chances are I will do it at the initial
 setup
> > with a manual near by. There are also a LOT of questions about MTS and
> > connection manager configuration. Do any of you DBAs have to play with
 this
> > stuff enough that you have the steps memorized? Am I just being naive?
> >

> > Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "VWP914" <vwp914_at_aol.com> wrote in message

> > > Are you certain that's what it says???! The order in which people
 generally
> > > attend the courses is: DBA, followed swiftly (within a few weeks) by
 Backup
> > > and Recovery, followed by Performance Tuning after several months of
 real,
> > > hands-on experience. The networking course is generally taken last,
 but
> > > frankly, it's two days spent editing three text fles, and I reckon you
 could
> > > take it pretty well any time you like.
> > >
> > > DBA and BUR are actually called Part 1a and Part 1b of the Enterprise
 and
> > > Administration course, so that gives you some idea that even Oracle
> > > considers them to be closely related. Oh, and incidentally,
 Performance
> > > Tuning is actually called Part 2 of the Enterprise and Administration
> > > course. And (surprise, surprise) Networking Administration is
 actually
> > > called Part 3.
> > >
> > > I'll vouch for the fact that DBA and BUR are at about the same level
 of
> > > difficulty to teach, and that both assume the students are practically
> > > beginners. Networking is in a class of its own, but has very little
 do
> > > with the RDBMS engine itself. Performance Tuning is a swine to teach
 by
> > > comparison, and is most definitely the one you want to leave till
 last,
> > > until you know basic Oracle backwards.
> > >
> > > I'd be interested in hearing their explanation for the proposed shift
 in
 the