Re: Running asynchronous, independent database users from PL/SQL

From: Alexander V. Silantiev <silantiev_at_bashkortostan.ru>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:31:43 GMT

You can realize a stand alone background process (MMM.B) that pick out the relevant packed message in wich might be stored the results from XYZ.A. In that time XYZ.A continue processing and pack up the results in the queue. <dperez_at_juno_nospam.com> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ:3b4683b8.945290766_at_news.qwest.net...
> I would like to start a process from a running pl/sql process....... I
 figure
> there's GOT to be some package, or utility, or something in Oracle to do
 this,
> but I can't find it... Or I'm not understanding it when I see it...
>
> For example:
>
> I have package XYZ with procedure A in it as a stored procedure in the
 database
> I also have package MMM with procedure B in it as a stored procedure.
>
> I run XYZ.A from the command line, and it happily takes off and starts
> processing...
>
> At some point during the processing I want to start an independend MMM.B
> perform some task. I want to PASS parameters to MMM.B from XYZ.A, but NOT
 have
> XYZ.A wait for MMM.B to complete. I want it to start MMM.B then continue
 on
> about its processing. While the first copy of MMM.B is running, I may
 want to
> start ANOTHER ONE, pass it different values for the parameters and have
 MMM.B
> (2) go off doing its thing... So, at this moment I have XYZ.A, MMM.B, and
> MMM.B(2) all running concurrently.
>
> I don't think HOST will work here because I want to have MMM.B get
 parameters
> from XYZ.A...
>
> So, for instance I could have XYZ.A sitting in a loop grabbing parent
 records
> from a table. For each record I want to start some long-running process
 MMM.B