Is this too slow?

From: gene <usenet_at_smalltime.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:37:34 GMT

An oracle server that I'm using with some software I've written seems, in my judgement, to be way too slow. Since I haven't worked with tables of this size in the past, I want to solicit your opinions on this.

As an example, this particular query takes about 5 to 6 minutes to run:

SELECT count(*), experiment.experiment_id

FROM      experiment, datum
WHERE     experiment.experiment_id = datum.experiment_id and
          experiment.scientist_id = 4

GROUP BY experiment.experiment_id;

The experiment table has about 700 rows, the datum table has about 7,300,000 rows. As the names imply experiment_id is a primary key (not null, number(8)) in
experiment and a foreign key in datum, and is an index in both.

The query above returns 31 grouped rows which represent 366,000 distinct rows.
As I said, it takes 5 to 6 minutes to run, which seems to me to be very long even with the large table size since I am joining on indexed columns. Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:37:34 CDT