Re: Oracle8i MTS on NT - any experience?

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:34:53 GMT

Paul Offord wrote:

> Just for background - the database server is an IBM NetFinity with 8
> processors and 4GB of RAM. We are running the NT 4GT option to give us 3GB
> of application memory. At 100 users (around 250 connections) the processors
> are busy but not stressed. Total memory in use by the Oracle process hovers
> around the 2GB mark on PerfMon.
>
> Best regards...Paul
>
> Paul Offord <paul.offord_at_btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > I am currently helping a customer to troubleshoot some Oracle Financials
> > post-installation problems. At the core of the system they have an
 Oracle8i
> > database running on an NT4 server. Oracle financials seems to require 2
 or
> > sometimes 3 database connections per server. The system needs to support
> > 400 users and so we are expecting 1,000 connections to the database
 server.
> > Oracle consultants have been on site and tuned the per connection memory
> > requirement down to 5 MB. However, that would still require 5GB - beyond
> > the capabilities of NT.
> >
> > We are looking at implementing Multi-Threaded Server to bring the memory
> > demands within the capabilities of the NT platform. Oracle UK's
 experience
> > of an NT site of this size seems limited.
> >
> > * What experience do you have of MTS on NT?
> >
> > * Do you run an Oracle8i server on NT with a similar number of users?
> >
> > Any experiences, war stories, dos/don'ts would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Tnaks in advance...Paul

How big is your SGA right now? To use MTS, you'll have to increase SGA significantly, at least by 1m per user session. For 400 connected users you are going to need 400M extra in shared_pool_size. Can you do it? Max SGA should be about 2G in your case, don't know for sure. Increase of shared_pool_size is needed because when using MTX, private SQL areas are allocated within shared pool. My experience with MTS on HP-UX (32-bit) wasn't particulary good, because maximum for all shared memory areas is 1.7G in this case, and with 1200 sessions it wasn't possible to have enough shared pool. Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:34:53 CDT