Re: Urgently need help on: "Cannot Open Oracle DB when startup"

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:31:59 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> So, my first thought is: does this guy have his redo logs mirrored within
> Oracle, and if not why not? Perhaps this experience will serve to underline
> the importance of three-way multiplexing of redo logs.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Howard,

Could you provide me with a link or a quick summary as to quantifying the benefits of three-way-multiplexing of the online redo logs?

I can see the benefit of duplexing the online redo logs, and I know that Oracle will use in a round-robin fashion the members of a group during the archival process - but I cannot see the benefit outweighing the cost for a smallish database.

for a small app running on a dedicated database that has at most 8 drives on 2 I/O channels set up as 4 RAID 1 mirrored sets.

yes, I could see 3 way multiplexing on a 22 drive dream configuration.

thanks much,

Paul Drake Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:31:59 CDT