Re: Oracle Start

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:31:17 GMT

Gaby wrote:

> Hi,
> my Oracle DB don't start automatically when i start the Server (w2k).
> I don't know why. Can anybody help me?
>
> --
> Gaby
> gspiessl_at_gmx.at

Hi.

3 potential problems:
I. NT/W2K Service not set to startup automatically II. Oracle Instance not set to start automatically III. Bug in Oracle Server software - must apply patch set

I. NT/W2K Service not set to startup automatically

    edit the service in computer management - services - edit the service and select automatic

II. Oracle Instance not set to start automatically

    3 methods to change this

  1. use a GUI
  2. edit the registry
  3. use a command line tool
  4. use a GUI Do you have the Oracle Administrative Assistant for Windows NT installed?

if yes, use the following - else - use method 'b'

Start - programs - Oracle/OraHome81 - Database Administration - Oracle Administrative Assistant for Windows NT. expand the tree to where the level "Databases" appears on the left hand panel.
right click on the database in question and select "startup/shutdown options"
2 panels exist:

    Oracle Instance

        X - Startup instance when service is started
        X - Shutdown instance when service is stopped
                Shutdown Mode
                - shutdown normal
        X     - shutdown immediate
                - shutdown abort
    Oracle NT Service Starup Options
        Oracle NT Service Startup Type
             X - Automatic
                 - Manual

b. edit the registry

start - run - regedt32

under HKLM\Software\ORACLE\HOME<n>
 edit the value for ORA_%ORACLE_SID%_AUTOSTART  it should read 'TRUE'

where %ORACLE_SID% is the ORACLE_SID for the database that is not starting at system start.

c. command line

D:\Oracle\Ora81\bin>oradim -EDIT -SID %ORACLE_SID% -STARTMODE auto

III. Bug in Oracle Server software - must apply patch set

    This bug does not exist in Oracle 8.1.6.3.x and Oracle 8.1.7.0.2 and forward.

    Obtain the patch set from Metalink at http://metalink.oracle.com     Click on the blinking red link to hunt for patches.

hth,

Paul Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:31:17 CDT