Re: beginners blues

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:30:49 GMT

On Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:09:52 GMT, ssquirrel109_at_hotmail.com (vicky) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>can anybody recommend some books which deals with Oracle 8i for
>complete beginners. I've purchased several books already which claim
>to be for beginners but, I felt, still required previous knowledge
>i.e. Oracle 8i from scratch by Hotka. I would like a book which
>teaches SQL from the beginning and does not assume any prior knowledge
>of databasing.
>
>Any recommendations would be really appreciated.
>
>TKS
>
>Vicky

Hi Vicky,

I would recommend you to get some basic theoretical understanding of Relational databases and SQL before jumping into a specific product. A good theoretical background will makes your database job much easier.

There are tons of books on Relational databases and SQL, but personally, I find "Database systems" by Connolly and Begg to be excellent. It gives you all the theoretical stuff very thoroughly and it also compares and evaluates some vendor-specific products. A very good reference.
Regards,
Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
Oracle DBA