Re: Install Oracle twice?

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:29:15 GMT

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:44:39 +0100, "Phil Haigh" <phil.haigh_at_fwpharma.com> wrote:

>> ...have installed oracle enterprise edition 8.0.5 on my
>> windows NT 4.0 machine for my own use/practice (no network involved) And I
>> just can't seem to get over the first stage (i.e. getting it to work)
>> I was wondering if it needs to be done twice. Did I need to
>> log into my PC as 'administrator' then install the server then log in
 again
>> to the same machine and log in as my normal network password and then
>> install client?
>
>First off, all your installation work should be done as the local
>administrator. Accept the default oracle home suggested for the server and
>simply let it install. On completion (if there were no errors) you should
>have a working server. As far as the client goes, this will go into a
>seperate directory - this is fine. I'm assuming that 'client' is Oracle
>Developer/Programmer/Designer or something similar.

A standard install of the server will include the necessary client software (SQL*Net modules, protocol adapters, SQL*Plus, etc) in the same Oracle home directory as the server. Now, if you're talking about Oracle adding Oracle applications or development tools, that might be different. I'm a DBA and we don't use Oracle apps or dev tools.

>> There should be no need to use NET8 as its on my machine -
>> should there?
>
>You need Net8, and you will need to make sure that the *TWO* tnsnames.ora
>files (one for the client install, one for the server install) both contain
>an entry for the database instance that was created during the installation
>process. I'm not a DBA so although you may be able to get away with one I
>tend to do both - and keep them the same - it takes the guesswork out of
>remembering which should be updated!

No, you only need one TNSNAMES on the server, and that only for a client process (such as SQL*Plus) running on the server. TNSNAMES is used only by client software -- to resolve a connect string to an actual database and location. The server side of the connection will need a correctly configured LISTENER.ORA file . . .

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)