Re: Redhat7.0 or Redhat7.1 +Oracle8.1.7

From: Leonard F Clark <lfc_at_zoom.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:27:32 GMT

There is a comment on the install readme file about this. It says:

QUOTE The Oracle installation program (versions 8.1.7, 8.1.6, and possibly

      others) does not work properly with glibc 2.2 and above. The problem

      is that it is linking object files compiled against different glibc

      (binary compatibility is ensured only for linked executables and
      shared libraries through symbol versioning).  You may work
around
      this by installing the Red Hat Linux 6.2 compatibility packages
      (compat-egcs, compat-glibc and compat-libs) and issuing the
following
      commands before running the Oracle installer:

        export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
        . /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh

      The second line exports environment variables which will cause
gcc
      and ld to look for glibc 2.1.3 compatibility headers and
libraries.

UNQUOTE I get the same problem when running Mandrake 8.0

I haven't been able to test the note above because I can't get anaconda to work on my install disks for RedHat 7.1 I get a file or directory missing error and then the thing bombs out. It appears others are having this problem too but noone seems to know why.

Len