Re: TNS Listner failed to start process - Help Wanted!

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:35:45 GMT

jxa_at_adlam.co.uk (Julz) wrote in message news:<fb947ed2.0107110132.44f443fa_at_posting.google.com>...
> I would be greatful if anyone could help with a problem.
>
> Currently running Oracle 8.1.7 on WinNT4.
>
> "Error ORA-12500 TNS Listner failed to start process"
>
> This error appears on the client at times of high usage, and seems to
> happen when there are about 120 users connected.
>
> The server has 4GB of RAM and is dedicated to Oracle.
> (Only 2GB supported by Oracle due to 32bit OS).

I think that the best thing you can do is to look in logs. Many interesting infos a man can get from logs. ORA-12500 is a very common error message, which can be caused by many things. Lots of them are problems with operating system environment. So first look in $ORACLE_HOME/network/listener/listener.log, maybe in this file is also some other message pointing to your problem. Then check operating system logs, monitoring of base system condition is also a good choice (memory occupation etc.). Because of not using MTs on your server, maybe you encounter max. process limit, with 120 users it's very easy to be beyond this point. I can't give you exact advices, because NT4 is system on which I have only minor test databases, not serious ones. Just remmember, Oracle may not be your problem.

Ing. Dusan Bolek
Oracle team leader