Re: Are these too harsh ?

From: Michael Lackey <mlackey_at_illuminet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:25:17 GMT

I would tend to organize my questions into categories to get a better picture of where the potential DBA's strengths and experiences are. For example if they are only weak in the development area but are very strong in
DBA fundamentals, that means more to me than an overall score of 60%.

How specific your questions get and on which features really depends on your specific DBA requirements at your site. Your standby database question for example,
some organizations may never have a need for that.

Here is a quick stream of thoughts:

For each category I would ask what their responsabilties were at their last/current DBA job.

OS experience

	How well do they know the OS oracle will run on at your site?
	Do they have Admin experience on this platform?
	Can they write scripts to manage the database in this OS?

Installation
	How many have they done and what size and platforms?
	What products/versions have they installed?
	Use Oracle Flexible Architecture (OFA)?
	Upgrades they have performed?

Database Design/Architecture

	tablespace storage settings?
	partitioning?
	How involved in the design process have they been in previous
database applications?
	VLDB Experience?
	Analysis skills?
	Analaysis and design toolsets used?
	Object Orientation?
	Work with LOBs?

Oracle Instance Architecture

	SGA Questions . . .
	SMON/PMON/DBWn questions . . .
	rollback segments (how many and why)?
	redo logs/group
	controlfiles and multiplexing

Instance Documentation

	What do you document?
	What about disaster recovery documentation?

Oracle Instance Configuration Issues

        db_block_buffers/shared_pool_size/db_block_size etc.

Oracle Instance Monitoring/Maintenance

	current tablespace capacity and wasted space
	tablespace extents
	on/offline tablespaces or datafiles
	redo logs
	rollback segments

Performance Monitoring

	How do you do this?
	have you written scripts/programs to do this?
	Used any software to do this (OEM)?
	Top sessions and resource hogs?
	Resource limiting and management?
	coalescing tablespaces
	Table statistics
	chained rows

Security

        Every use anything other than users/roles/profiles such as external security like kerberos (sp?)?

Developent

	PL/SQL experience?
	Provide Support to developers?
	Work with Oracle Objects Module?
	XML/JAVA?
	snapshots
	packages
	sequences
	synonyms
	Change management

Backup/Recovery and Corruption

	experience with cold/hot/RMAN backups and recovery?
	Why not just use RMAN?
	read-only Tablespaces
	interfacing with Tape management?
	archive logging
	exports
	moving a database
	Disaster Recovery Experiences
		worst nightmare
		worst real life experience
		Performed complete proof of concept on recovery scenarios?

High Availability

	Standby database
	OPS
	Clustering software like Veritas?

Personality
	Anxiety Disorders and Medication :)
	Sleep Deprivation survival techniques :(
	Team/Enterprise Player?
	Can you sleep with a pager under your pillow?

Oracle Tools
	OEM
	RMAN
	SQLPLUS
	etc.

A few humble opinions on your specific questions:

        If they flench, send them packing.

        My question to you is why not use RMAN?

        I never focus much on this myself unless you had problems in these areas.

        Great questions.

        Valid question to ask. Don't let them miss this one.

        While I am a personal fan of using these, not really a DBA issue but more of

        a development and standards issue. Great topics for conversation though.

	Could be a little technical for some and a decision we typically make
	as a group depending on speed requirements verses up-time verses
cost.

        Seem more developer than DBA oriented to me.