Database Creation Hangs at 50% for Oracle 9.0.1.0.0

From: Student <kennylim_at_techie.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:53:26 GMT

Hi Gentlemens,

Sypnosis of the Problem:

The oracle 9.0.1.0.0 server installation went well but the database creation hangs at 50%. My first guess was the database was not started. So I attempt to start the database manually via dgmgrl utility. Uponlogging in as sysdba. I received the following error: ORA-01034: ORACLE notavailable. When attempting to start the instance manually referencing to theinit{sid}.ora file. I ran into the similiar pattern where the no instancewas started nor did I received any form of error message - it just hangs! I ran into the same problem in the past for 9.0.0.0.0 (Beta 2) on the hanging problem and are back to square again in 9.0.1.0.0

Is there something some that I am missing here ? (e.g. inappropriate kernel parameter settings) Had anyone tested on Sun Solaris 64 bit OS environment and had sucessfully installed similiar to my environment?

Background Summary:

*Sun SPARC Solaris 2.8 (64 bit)
*512 Meg of RAM
*3-4 times the disk capacity allocated for swap, temp and have
ample amount of disk space for server and database installation.
*Kernel parameters and environment are set abiding from Oracle 9i
documentation based on Oracle9iDatabase Documentation - UNIX.
*So far, no visible errors encountered during theinstallation of the
server and creation of the database. (it just hang!)

Kernel Parameter Settings:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=2147483648
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=4096
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=200
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=256
set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

Environment Settings:

DISPLAY=192.168.1.10:0.0; export DISPLAY

ORACLE_BASE=/server/oracle; export ORACLE_BASE
ORACLE_HOME=/server/oracle/OraHome1; export ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_SID=sun2; export ORACLE_SID

PATH=$PATH:/server/oracle/OraHome1/bin;

PATH=$PATH:/usr/ccs/bin;
PATH=$PATH:/usr/openwin/bin;
export PATH

Let me know what are the explicit log files and info. needed for you to troubleshoot the issue. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:53:26 CDT