Re: New Instance

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:34:16 GMT

Tom Brown wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of a howto with regard to setting
> up a new instance on Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris? We need to setup a new
> instance that is not connected in any way with other instances already
> running.
>
> I'm a newbie to Oracle so any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

There is only one way to do it properly. Can everyone feel this coming?

Open the CD and printout the installation instructions. And follow them.

I know this sounds mindlessly stupid but the installation instructions Oracle supplies are specific, easy to follow, and have only a single omission ... you must bounce the Solaris box after modifying /etc/system for the changes to take effect.

And unless you are just playing around ... not something normally done in Solaris ... do NOT build the default database but write your own script and execute it in server manager to build the system and other tablespace. The instructions on the CD will cover running catalog.sql, catproc.sql, and pupbld.sql, etc.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:34:16 CDT