Re: Need Pro-C code to read/write local files

From: Michael Bierenfeld <michael.bierenfeld_at_atmiralis.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:48:00 GMT

Hello,

> They have files on the client side that they want to insert as LOBs
> into a server side DB. This makes using PL/SQL or DBMS_LOB impossible
> as a direct approach. This is because the server side is unaware of
> the client file-system. What they need is a process (possible OCI or
> PRO*C) that will read the local file, break it into chunks, and call
> DBMS_LOB iteratively and update the server-side DB LOB.

I was speaking about the client side. The Program/Process is running on the client. It Reads the file and inserts it into the server-db. Pro*C and OCI Programs of course do have the possibility to connect to a remote Database. The Protokoll is called SQL*Net. There is no need that the server needs access to the client filesystem.

> BTW: Do you really think that most of the people in the newsgroup do
> not get paid for their time? I respectfully disagree. In fact, I
> believe that the opposite is more likely. Also, the client "customer"
> i was referring to was another DBA that I support at my location.
> I'm still not sure why passing on requests is a bad thing.

This is some sort of misunderstanding *gg* Of course most of the people in these newsgroups are professionals. Therefor passing requests to "all" newsgroups is wasting the time of other people. You know : You have questions ... and you answer questions.

The newsgroups are full of chunk like "Help me", "got a question", "error xyz" and so on issued by people ho havent read the FAQ's and Manuals and often never answer questions of other people. This is not the way the system works.

Regards

Michael Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:48:00 CDT