Re: Which platform is better?

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:07:07 GMT

Here is my humble opinion, which is based on empirical evidence.

At my previous job we benchmarked our product on Oracle7.3.x and Oracle8.1.x on NT and SPARC Solaris. The NT box was configured very similar to your spec, except 1Gb ram and 4 SCSI drives non-RAIDed (about a $10K box or so). The Sun box was an older E250 with 500 Mb memory, 4 non-RAIDed SCSI drives, and dual 400 MHz SPARC processors (about a $30K box). The databases where configured the same, OFA-compliant, same SGA sizing (or better on the NT box), the NT box had one Oracle instance, and the Sun box had 3 Oracle instances + ClearCase running on it. The schema including tables, indexes, and data were exactly the same. Even the execution plans for the 10 or so queries I examined were exactly the same.

Guess what, the Sun box ran all operations (including the big-read DSS type queries) 6-7 times faster. Do the math, and you'll see where the money is well-spent.

I've only worked with RS-6000's and AIX once, and it was a pretty old box, but I would tend to agree with the earlier posting: run, don't walk, away from NT.

Best regards,
Dave