Re: Which platform is better?

From: Michael Austin <miaustin_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:07:06 GMT

This is a very religious question. It's like asking, which pizza is better, Papa Johns or Domino's? Sometimes upgrading to a new, faster box may not solve your problem either. It will depend on why you are having the problem. Is it network related or is it purely a database issue. What has been done to tune the database, or even the applications/sql queries. A faster box may help, but then again, maybe not.

My personal preference would be to run as fast as possible away from NT and if I were to stay with unix, go to a Compaq Alpha running Tru64 unix . Much nicer machine than a peecee. I have seen a single processor alpha (500Mhz) outrun even a new 850Mhz Intel/NT system. These boxes were designed to be beat and they just run and run and run.

That aside, now comes my professional opinion. Stay with AIX, since you already have the expertise in house, get a current RS6000 or what ever IBM is plugging today. While you can run on some of the new PeeCee's they are IMHO still a PeeCee. This will also make migration a snap. Install latest Oracle, export from old database, import into new system. Same file systems etc...

Michael Austin
DBA Consultant