Re: Please help me decide

From: akmal b chaudhri <akmal_at_soi.city.ac.uk.nospam>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:58:58 GMT

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, George I. Develekos wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> We're in the early designing stages for a knowledge management system
> that will model knowledge items as XML files containing text fields as
> well as BLOBs.
> The XML elements will be stored in a DBMS. Intelligent
> rule-based retrieval and management in general must be supported. The
> number of stored items will be in the thousands, but their size may be
> in the Megs. Access to the database will be through the WWW, most
> probably via JDBC, and will not be frequent. The OS will be WNT/2000 or
> Solaris.
>
> The million-dollar question now is: what DBMS should we go for?
> Relational, OO or OR? And in vendor-specific terms, Oracle? DB2?
> MS-SQL-Server?
>
> Please advise!
>
> Thanks,
>
> G.I.Develekos

I would suggest you have a look at some of the articles here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xmlAndDatabases.html

As far as storage is concerned, maybe these papers help:

T. Bohme and E. Rahm (2001) XMach-1: A benchmark for XML data management. Proceedings of the German Database Conference (BTW2001), Oldenburg, Germany, March 2001.
http://dbs.uni-leipzig.de/en/projekte/XML/XmlBenchmarking.html

A.R.Schmidt, F. Waas, M.L. Kersten, D. Florescu, I. Manolescu, M. J. Carey and R. Busse (2001) The XML benchmark project. Technical Report INS-R0103, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, March 2001. http://monetdb.cwi.nl/xml/new/index.html

D. Florescu and D. Kossmann (1999) A performance evaluation of alternative mapping schemes for storing XML data in a Relational database. Technical Report No. 3680, INRIA, Le Chesnay Cedex, France, May 1999. http://www-rodin.inria.fr/dataFiles/FK99.ps

F. Tian, D.J. DeWitt, J. Chen and C. Zhang (????) The design and performance evaluation of alternative XML storage strategies. Submitted for publication.
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/niagara/papers/xmlstore.pdf

Also check out:

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/
http://www.xml-und-datenbanken.de/