Re: Please help me decide

From: akmal _at_ city <_at_>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:00:04 GMT

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

> "DBA" <dba1234_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > AND... what answer do you really expect from comp.databases.MS-SQLSERVER
 ???

> > Does anyone other than Oracle even have OO or OR ?
> >

> Yes, I can't recall the names, but others where there first and some would
> claim better.

A couple of early products were from UniSQL and Illustra. Some of the ideas were written-up in the Third Generation Database Manifesto (Mike Stonebraker, David Beech and others):

ftp://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/postgres/papers/ERL-M90-28.ps.Z

Mike is running his company Cohera these days and David Beech has retired from Oracle now. Phil Bernstein is with Microsoft, as is Jim Gray. Mike Carey is with Propel. Not sure where Lawrence Rowe, Bruce Lindsay and Michael Brodie are.

Cheers,

akmal