Re: How popular is RMAN for backup?

From: Diana Bonham <diana_at_fnal.gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:51:19 -0500

We use RMAN exclusively at our shop, all 8i databases. I've used RMAN to do some really scary,ugly recoveries: all controlfiles lost; recover database to a point in time; recover *entire* database (all controlfiles, all database files including SYSTEM were lost). Worked like a champ, and I was the hero afterwards. We chose it mainly because we have big databases (100's of GB) and RMAN backup sets can be much smaller than the allocated size of the database, unlike "regular" hot backups. Also much faster than "regular" hot backups, and generate less redo, so less impact when backups are running during high user activity. Yes, RMAN had its fair share of bugs, but in my experience, it's gotten much better with each new release.
 Diana