How to check if the Oracle server is running in 64-bit mode.

From: steve <lmcstmc_at_lmc.ericsson.se>
Date: 19 Jul 2001 09:09:00 -0700

Hi,

I'm running Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8 and am having trouble creating an SGA of 2 Gigs. There is enough physical memory and /etc/system parameters are correctly set (e.g. SHMMAX). metalink notes seem to indicate that a change to sgabeg parameters will fix the problem

I have 2 Questions:

  1. How can I tell if the Oracle server is running in 64-bit mode. There is no indication in the output of, for example, svrmgrl. Is there a way? Is there a command I can run?
  2. An Oracle support person questioned why I wanted to create an SGA of 2 gigs. He said that 80% of the time, large SGAs reduce performance. Am I missing something here? I thought the more the memory the better? (there's not much else running on the Unix server, so we won't be affecting other processes).

Thanks.

Steve Received on Thu Jul 19 2001 - 11:09:00 CDT