Re: SVRMGR on the way out?

From: Kevin Grant <K.Grant_at_nowhere.com.au>
Date: 18 Jul 2001 06:13:12 GMT

Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl> wrote in news:3B541138.8C9EE555_at_wxs.nl:

> Kevin Grant wrote:

>> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Jul 17 08:30:09 2001
>>
>> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>> SQL> connect / as sysdba
>> ERROR:
>> ORA-01090: shutdown in progress - connection is not permitted
>>
>> SQL> connect sys as sysdba
>> Enter password:
>> ERROR:
>> ORA-01090: shutdown in progress - connection is not permitted
>>
>> I can however do a 'connect internal' from withing SQLPlus. This
>> isn't much good in 9i though if 'connect internal' is no longer
>> supported.
>>
>> Eg:
>>
>> SQL> connect internal
>> Connected to an idle instance.
>> SQL>
>>
>> Maybe someone could try this on 9i and let us know what happens? Are
>> we missing something fundamental here?
>
> Use "sqlplus /nolog" to prevent it from asking as password.
> Then use "connect / as sysdba" to log in.

Erwin,

The problem is not that Oracle is asking for a password, it's that SQLPlus does not replicate all functions of SVRMGR as of version 8.1.7.1.

I don't show the 'sqlplus /nolog' in the above example, but that is what I used to get an SQL prompt. You'll note that I have already tried to 'connect / as sysdba' and it didn't work.

Anyway, it seems that this does work in 9i (thanks Xuequn Xu).

Kev. Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 01:13:12 CDT