Re: How to copy an instance on same unix server?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:44:14 +0200

"Ed Wong" <ewong_at_mail.com> wrote in message news:a5ae1554.0107181313.36e4d49a_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I need to create a copy of a 30GB instance on an unix server so that I
> have two identical instance running for testing purpose. Is there any
> fast way to do it beside the slow export/import? I thought about copy
> all datafiles and rename it but I don't think I can change the db_name
> to make the instance unique right?
>
> Thanks.
>
> 8.1.7EE/Sun Solaris 2.7

Surely you can change the db_name
Dump the controlfile by issuing
alter database backup controlfile to trace; You will now find a file in the directory pointed to by the user_dump_dest parameter. It has a
create controlfile command.
Edit the file appropiately, it has the database name in it. Now run it.
You should be okay now.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 16:44:14 CDT