Re: Multiple DB writers vs. I/O slaves

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:22:20 GMT

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:10:49 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>Since DBWR has absolutely nothing to do with inserts, adding multiple DBWRs
>isn't going to speed inserts up.
>
>However, if you mean that you wish to speed up the DBWR flushes, then, yes,
>multiple DBWRs are a better way to go than I/O Slaves. I/O Slaves only
>parallelize the writing of blocks to disk: there's still a single DBWR
>collating the write batch.
>
>With multiple DBWRs, the collation of the write batch is done in parallel,
>as well as the actual writing down to disk.

thanks for that info, Howard. IIRC, multiple DBWRs are still useful in some heavy write situations even when ASYNC I/O is being used. Is that still the case even with 8i?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed Jul 18 2001 - 05:22:20 CDT