Re: How to partition only LOB column but not data/index?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2001 16:44:03 -0700

In article <a5ae1554.0107171505.4e036b35_at_posting.google.com>, ewong_at_mail.com says...

>I am trying to have a 100GB table partitioned. I want to have the
>regular column and index on tablespaces user_data and user_index
>tablespace respectively. With the clob column, I want to create hash
>partition on tablespaces user_lob_p1, user_lob_p2, user_lob_p3 and
>user_lob_p4. But I notice that the index goes to the index
>tablespace, but the table as well as clob goes into the partition
>tablespaces. I would like to know how to separate table and it's
>clob. This is what I do -

you cannot, from the server concepts:

Partitioning of Tables with LOB Columns

Tables that contain LOB columns can be partitioned. However, a partitioning key cannot contain a LOB column. The LOB data and LOB index segments of a LOB column are equipartitioned with the base table.

http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76965/c09parti.htm#441333

LOB data is always equi-partitioned with the base table itself.

You must hash partition the base table as well.