Re: where should alert logs go (preferably)

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:10:11 +0100

tony wrote:

> "Daniel A. Morgan" <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com> wrote in message news:<3B5315B2.81FF5B2_at_attws.com>...
> > tony wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I have inherited a Solaris 7 E220R with two Oracle instances.
> > > CLFY and PROD. A search for the alert files reveals that they are
> > > here:
> > > /u04/app/oracle/admin/PROD/bdump/alert_PROD.log
> > > and here
> > > /u02/oradata/CLFY/bdump/alert_CLFY.log
> > > I'd have thought that they should both be in same place in the tree,
> > > or is it not important?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Tony
> >
> > They are where they belong: In the bdump directory under the instance
> > they relate to though I would normally have them in
> > /admin/instance/bdump the difference is unimportant.
> >
> > Sounds to me like you need to learn some Oracle architecture before you
> > starting changing things.
> >
> > Daniel A. Morgan
>
> And what better place to get architectural erudition than this news
> group ;-)
> A secondary question arises methinks, if the alert logs are correctly
> situated, in the bdump dir under the instance they relate to.
> Are the instances both located in a sensible place
> /u04/app/oracle/admin and
> /u02/oradata? And if a third instance was required, and it might be,
> where should it go?
>
> It seems I have the following possibilities:
>
> # find / -name admin | grep oracle | grep -v product
> /u01/app/oracle/admin
> /u02/app/oracle/admin
> /u04/app/oracle/admin
> # find / -name oradata
> /u01/app/oracle/oradata
> /u01/oradata
> /u01/oradata/oradata
> /u02/app/oracle/oradata
> /u02/oradata
> /u04/app/oracle/oradata
>
> Regards
>
> Tony

Search the web for the "OFA" architecture - where many people will insist upon following it to the letter, it would make sense in your case to at least each instance a particular box all having their alert log's in: /<somwhere>/admin/<instance>/bdump. It doesn't really matter where "somewhere" is, but it certainly makes life easier for the next DBA if they are all in there

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald