Re: Issues when using SVRMGRL

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:29:13 -0700

Joseph Ahmad wrote:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I'm a not yet comfortable with administering Oracle 8i, so please forgive
> the simplicity of my posting. We are currently running Oracle 8i Release
> 8.1.7.0.0 on Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 5), and I'm attempting to
> configure the ARCServe "Oracle Agent" in order to perform complete, system
> wide recovery. As some of you may realize, ARCHIVELOG mode must be enabled
> in order for this backup mechanism to run correctly. As a result, I opened a
> SVRMGR command window, and verified that ARCHIVELOG mode was *not* enabled
> by entering the command "Archive log list". According to the instructions
> provided by Computer Associates (vendor of ARCServe 2000), a series of
> commands must be entered in order to enable ARCHIVELOG mode. The ARCServe
> documentation recommended the following:
>
> (a) At the svrmgr prompt, type the following : "shutdown abort" (in order to
> shutdown the Oracle instance)
> (b) The user must now reconnect to Oracle using the internal account; once
> reconnected, type the following series of commands:
> "startup mount database"
> "alter database archivelog"
> "alter database open"
> " archive log start"
>
> Nevertheless, after having issued the "shutdown abort" command, I'm unable
> to startup the database. For example, when I type "startup mount <name of
> database>", I'm presented with an error message that states - ORA-00205
> error in identifying control file name. I checked some online resources, but
> could not find any helpful suggestions as to why this error was being
> generated. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated, at
> present, I'm unable to start the database.

The first insight is NEVER issue "shutdown abort" unless you absolutely have to. You could have used shutdown immediate or shutdown transactional.

Then for the ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile

check the alert log, most likely in bdump for more information.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue Jul 17 2001 - 14:29:13 CDT