Re: tns vunerability & patch for 8i on NT

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn_at_jmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:33:41 -0400

Rajiv wrote:

> If anyone needs the details here is what I did. I created a
> nonprivileged user and then started the listner with the appropriate
> permissions on the files which the listener uses.

While it then may be that the user no longer has system privileges, it still has access to those database files, right?

> Just starting the listener as a different user
> solves the problem.

Assuming the files it has access to aren't sensitive, there is also the problem of having any local account compromised. There are usually more ways to compromise a system (or neighboring ones) when a local account is available.

Unless you set permissions accordingly, that "nonprivileged" user can still probably run uploaded shell scripts, and programs accessible to userland in the /bin and other directories.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Please R.U.N.S.A.F.E.