Re: Copy of an Oracle database

From: Kurt-Erich Finger <kurt-erich.finger_at_otelo-online.de>
Date: 16 Jul 2001 01:52:45 -0700

Tho Nguyen <tho_pic_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<tl4kdm2po6lfda_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> Kurt-Erich Finger wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried to copy an existing database to a new location on the same server
> > (Win NT, Oracle 8.0.5)
> >
> > I did an "alter database backup controlfile to trace, shut down the
 database
> > and copied all datafile and logfiles to the new location.
> > In the trace file I re-set the ID and changed the path:
> >
> > STARTUP NOMOUNT
> > CREATE CONTROLFILE set DATABASE "PLAY" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
> > MAXLOGFILES 32
> > MAXLOGMEMBERS 5
> > MAXDATAFILES 254
> > MAXINSTANCES 2
> > MAXLOGHISTORY 955
> > LOGFILE
> > GROUP 3 'D:\training\LOGORCL1B.ORA' SIZE 10M,
> > etc.
> > DATAFILE
> > 'D:\training\SYS1ORCL.DBF',
> > 'D:\training\RBS1ORCL.DBF',
> > etc
> > ;
> > ALTER DATABASE OPEN resetlogs;
> >
> > When I ran the script I got:
> >
> > CREATE CONTROLFILE set DATABASE "PLAY" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
> > ORA-01503: create controlfile failed
> > ORA-01158: database already mounted.
> >
> > The database was not mounted.
> > Running the script after SHUTDOWN gave the same result.
> >
> > A database PLAY already existed in \training, but I deleted all files.
> > The INITPLAY also points to the right directory.
> >
> > What did I do wrong?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Kurt-Erich Finger

Thanks for your help.
Today (Monday) it worked!

I deleted the last line (ALTER DATABASE OPEN resetlogs;) and ran the script. It worked without errors. Then I SHUTDOWN, Startup and ALTER DATABASE OPEN resetlogs;

The copy is up and running!

Kurt-Erich

shutdown Received on Mon Jul 16 2001 - 03:52:45 CDT