Re: SVRMGR on the way out?

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 17 Jul 2001 01:51:26 GMT

I have tested this in my freshly installed trial 9i on Linux (redhat 7.1). This is NOT a problem for 9i. With Sqlplus in 9i, you can still connect / as sysdba after an interrupted shutdown, and then do shutdown abort.

Kevin Grant (K.Grant_at_mailbox.gu.edu.au) wrote:
: alanolya_at_invera.com (Alanoly J. Andrews) wrote in
: news:e76061b9.0107160726.4ebc483b_at_posting.google.com:

: > I've heard in this NG that Oracle 9i does away with "internal" and also
: > the utility SVRMGR. All functions of SVRMGR are reportedly available in
: > SQLPLUS. I know of at least one function which SVRMGR can do and
: > SQLPLUS cannot (in Oracle 8i), ie to connect to an Oracle Instance
: > which for some reason is in a "permanent" shutdown state. You can mimic
: > this by starting the shutdown command and doing an interrupt (^C)
: > before the shutdown completes. If you then quit from SQLPLUS or SVRMGR,
: > you cannot re-connect with SQLPLUS. You will get a message saying that
: > no connections are allowed. But you CAN re-connect by doing SVRMGRL and
: > "connect internal". You can then do "shutdown abort" and complete the
: > shutdown process.
: >
: > Possibly there are some other such differences, too.
: > I hope 9i has truly preserved all of SVRMGR's and INTERNAL's
: > capabilities.

: This is quite interesting. I reproduced this behaviour on a 8.1.7.1
: database running on Solaris 8. No matter what I do (connect / as sysdba
: or connect sys as sysdba) I can't connect to the database.

: Eg:

: SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Jul 17 08:30:09 2001

: (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

: SQL> connect / as sysdba
: ERROR:
: ORA-01090: shutdown in progress - connection is not permitted

: SQL> connect sys as sysdba
: Enter password:
: ERROR:
: ORA-01090: shutdown in progress - connection is not permitted

: I can however do a 'connect internal' from withing SQLPlus. This isn't
: much good in 9i though if 'connect internal' is no longer supported.

: Eg:

: SQL> connect internal
: Connected to an idle instance.
: SQL>

: Maybe someone could try this on 9i and let us know what happens? Are we
: missing something fundamental here?

: Kev.

: --
: Kevin Grant