Re: upgrading 7.3.4 to ???

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:12:56 GMT

> General question: if you wore my hat, will you move to 8.1.7 or will you
> jump
> directly to 9.0.1?

I'd go to 8.1.7, not 9.0.1. Most people that I know didn't trust 8.0.x until at least 8.0.4 if not 8.0.5! 9.0.1 is still too new and the bugs are being shaken out more and more every day. So unless you need features specific to 9.0.1, then I'd wait on that for a while.

> higher 9.0.x release? On the other hand, do you think that 8.1.7 will
> continue to live for a while or do you think that it will be desupported
> before the end of 2001?

8.1.7 will be around for a while. I'm not sure when it will be desupported, but I seriously doubt it will be until sometime after Jan 1, 2002.

> Another important item: assuming that 8.1.7 is able to read 7.3.4 export
> files, can I make the same assumption for 9i? Otherwise I don't know how
> to migrate data.

Yes, you can make the same assumption. The other way to migrate your data is with the MIG utility (or ODMA tool). But since you are moving to a new platform at the same time, then exp/imp is the logical choice!

HTH,
Brian Received on Mon Jul 16 2001 - 08:12:56 CDT