Re: Connecting to an Oracle Listener process thru a firewall

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 16 Jul 2001 01:06:49 -0700

mahesh_menon_at_caltiger.com (Mahesh Menon) wrote in message news:<5fcd4928.0107142200.4affd25c_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am trying to connect to an Oracle Listener process thru a
> firewall. The Oracle Listener does not respond.
>
> Here are the Firewall settings:
>
> Oracle server address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 1521
> Firewall handoff settings: YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY 11521 (YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY
> is the firewall's adress).
>
> In other words, anything the firewall receives on port 11521
> is sent to the oracle server at port 1521. The Oracle Server
> doesn't seem to respond causing my Oracle client to time out.
>
> Based on the limited debugging I have done, I am starting to
> believe this is because my client sends it's own IP address
> (while sending requests to the server). The server may be
> trying to respond to the oracle client directly without
> realizing that the request is coming thru a firewall.
>
> And, of course, I have verified that the server is functioning
> normally. I am able to connect to it directly (without a firewall)
> without any problems.
>
> Any help in this regard is appreciated.

I think that your problem is likely caused by closing of higher ports because of firewall. Oracle server is using listener port (default 1521) only for setting up communications, user process on server then open its own port for communication with client. If your firewall has closed all higher ports (or not redirecting higher ports), then client - server communication is not possible.
If you need client - server connections through firewall then you must use a program called Conectivity Manager, which can keep client - server traffic between two defined ports (among other features).

Ing. Dusan Bolek
oracle team leader