Re: Oracle8i MTS on NT - any experience?

From: Paul Offord <paul.offord_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 09:41:29 +0100

Thanks for this input Robert. Although you are not running on NT I'm encouraged by the fact that you are running 1200 users in 1.9 GB. We have a couple of Oracle consultants in helping the DBA define the necessary on a backup box to test.

I thought we would need a bigger Large Pool than you have indicated. An Oracle guy tuned the per user memory requirement and I think he is playing very safe at 5 MB per user. We plan to run a 10 to 1 ratio of connections to shared servers so we should easily get the whole lot within the 3 GB available. We will be running dedicated servers for batch stuff handled by Concurrent Manager.

Best regards...Paul

Robert Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam> wrote in message news:3sB37.1163$p7.507300_at_news1.rdc2.pa.home.com...

> If you are considering MTS you will want to define a large pool, in
 addition
> to the shared pool. This is where the MTS memory will go if one is
 defined.

> The amount per session memory is based upon the application, not any fixed
> number. I don't have it in front of me, but I think it is just a sum of
 the
> uga of all sessions/num of sessions will give you a good starting point.
>
> I have 1200 connections to a 14G 14CPU sun box. My total shared pool is
> around 1.9G
>
> 375M to shared pool, 768M to large pool, and the rest (65,000 buffers) to
> the db_block_buffers
> I could easily reduce my shared pool down to 250M, now my large_pool sits
> around 500M used. Most connections us a very little bit, but about a
 third
> of them use 2-10M of memory. Others can grow, so I have a lot of
 breathing
> room. Most of that memory is due to PL/SQL table's that are used
> constantly.
>
> --
> Robert Fazio
> Senior Technical Analyst
> dbabob_at_yahoo.com
>
> "Alex Filonov" <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net> wrote in message
> > Paul Offord wrote:
> >
> > > Just for background - the database server is an IBM NetFinity with 8
> > > processors and 4GB of RAM. We are running the NT 4GT option to give
 us
 3GB
> > > of application memory. At 100 users (around 250 connections) the
 processors
> > > are busy but not stressed. Total memory in use by the Oracle process
 hovers
> > > around the 2GB mark on PerfMon.
> > >
> > > Best regards...Paul
> > >
> > > Paul Offord <paul.offord_at_btinternet.com> wrote in message
 Financials
 Oracle8i
 require
 2