Re: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available while creating database

From: FaheemRao <faheemrao_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2001 01:06:45 -0700

Ok It seems that Oracle is not dealing good with you , to be frank I have no experience on Unix , But I know Oracle a bit,

Ok when Oracle says Oracle Not availbe its meant that your instance is not started, so yo should start you Instance in no mount mode and then try to
issue the Create Database Command,

On NT you have to put the Oracle SID in registry so In unix put SID in whatever in equivilent to registry.

on server manager you should say this

connect internal/internal_password;

startup nomount

Create database

try your luck

Faheem

"Stephen Ashmore" <sashmore_at_neonramp.com> wrote in message news:<tl0l5tm8ghuea_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> [...]
> it is usually called orapwdSID.ora. It may be causing you to be prompted
> for a password when a connect internal is issued.
>
> 8.1.7 will work on Solaris. I installed one a couple of months back.
>
> Stephen C. Ashmore
> Brainbench MVP for Oracle Administration
> http://www.brainbench.com
>

> "Terence Chang" <peanutlen_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > All:
> >
> > I have followed all posts here and on metalink, but still can not
> > solve the problem when I create a new Oracle 8.1.7 database(12 times)
> > by dbassist after install the database software(7 times). I always get
> > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available error.
> >
> > I have a machine like this.
> > SUN Blade 100 with 512MB membory, 12GB disk space for /export/home
> > which is the place to install oracle software and data files.
> >
> > This is the /etc/system file setting which is from the Oracle
> > Installation Guide.
> >
> > set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
> > set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> > set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=200
> > set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
> > set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
> > set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
> > set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
> > set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
> > set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767
> >
> > I have .profile setup correctly for the oracle user. When I use the
> > dbassist to create a new database with all default settings, it stops
> > at the screen which shows the progress to create database component
> > (time, jserver, SQL*Plus Help etc) with ORA-01034: Oracle Not
> > Available error.
> >
> > It creates the folder and generates the initSUNORA01.ora under
> > $ORACLE_HOME/admin/.pfile with this data without any control files and
> > data files. This is the content of the initSUNORA01.ora.
> >
> > db_name = "SUNORA01"
> > instance_name = SUNORA01
> > service_names = SUNORA01
> > control_files = ("/export/home/oracle/oradata/SUNORA01/control01.ctl",
> > "/export/home/oracle/oradata/SUNORA01/control02.ctl",
> > "/export/home/oracle/oradata/SUNORA01/control03.ctl")
> > open_cursors = 300
> > max_enabled_roles = 30
> > db_block_buffers = 18500
> > shared_pool_size = 50518835
> > large_pool_size = 614400
> > java_pool_size = 20971520
> > log_checkpoint_interval = 10000
> > log_checkpoint_timeout = 1800
> > processes = 150
> > log_buffer = 163840
> >
> > I can do svrmgrl internal. It says the following errors.
> > SVRMGR> show sga
> > ORA-01012: not logged on
> > SVRMGR> connect internal
> > Password: oracle
> > Connected.
> >
> > I also try to see if LISTENER is started. It is.
> >
> > $ lsnrctl status LISTENER
> >
> > LSNRCTL for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 13-JUL-2001
> > 12:03:41
> >
> > (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

 (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=AZPHX01SV007)(PORT=1521)))