Re: Table Design

From: Walter Dorninger <walter.dorninger_at_aon.at>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:09:56 +0200

Hi Diego,

(1) Take a look at the Oracle Documentation where "partitions" (range partitions) are described. Range partitions would enable you to also easily maintain (delete/move/takeoffline) your data. Think of good partition keys when desining your table.
(2) Do not use LONG, LONG RAW datatypes (they are limited and support I think will be stopped in the next future). Use CLOB, BLOB, etc. instead. (3) There is no general concept for storage parameters, indexes, database parameters (that depends on your specific needs). That's why it's configureable ;-) - But in most cases it's an exercise of mathematics - take a look at the rows data and it's types (be careful VARCHAR, CHAR etc.) - and then make your decision. Also try to avoid fragmentation.

Walter