Re: Oracle 9i first impressions.

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 11 Jul 2001 23:09:21 GMT

"interal" is still there, and the only change is that it is now called "/ as sysdba" :-). If the OS user is in the dba group, it can still get in with "/ as sysdba" without password. Same as "internal". What's the difference?

Robert

Howard J. Rogers (howardjr_at_www.com) wrote:

: "Leonard F Clark" <lfc_at_zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
: news:3b435ec9.12148608_at_192.168.0.1...
: > George,
: >
: > Are you sure you can't use internal with sqlplus? With 8i, when you
: > use sqlplus, you can use internal in just the same way as sqldba. Not
: > only that, but you can also use all the normal features of sqlplus and
: > get better controlled output.
: >
: > IMHO, losing sqldba/svrmgr is not before time!

: Wrong way round, Len!

: Internal is a nasty, evil, horrible old Oracle 7 trick to get you on as a
: Privileged User. Complemented in 8 by 'connect ... as sysdba', the demise
: of Internal has been touted for many releases and versions. In 9i it's
: finally happened. Nasty evil Internal has gone, and pure, innocent
: 'connect...as sysdba' is now the *only* way to connect as a Privileged User.

: Woo-hoo!!

: Regards
: HJR

: >
: > Len
: >
: > >Had O9i up for a few hours now,
: > >init(SID>.ora is a lot neater (tidier) and you have a new file parameter
: > >file called spfile<SID>.ora which I think may be used instead of
 init.ora.
: > >Using sqlplus for everthing is a #@*# pain. I miss connect internal badly
: > >(sqlplus internal was a whizz), "as sysdba" is soo 'old'. Created
 "sqlplus
: > >/" for day to day stuff fine.
: > >I use OEM a lot in O8, like it, love it. O9 OEM looks awsome! But I
 havn't
: > >figured out how to get the O9 intelligent agent working yet, probably due
: > >a problem with my setup.
: > >
: > >Anyway, can anybody make sqlplus format like svrmgrl? e.g. what to put in
: > >glogin.sql to make it similar.
: > >
: > >George Barbour.
: > >