Re: Pinning packages

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:37:29 +1000

"Frank Hubeny" <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com> wrote in message news:3B494761.92CC6321_at_ntsource.com...
> Since Oracle documentation refers to the term "pin", it is reasonable to
> consider the term "correct".

Bollocks.

Oracle documentation also tells you that it is possible to create a SYSTEM tablespace as locally managed. Care to give it a try???

Oracle documentation also suggests that every segment should have a STORAGE clause. Care to give that a try with locally managed tablespaces??

I can point you to two slides in the Performance tuning course. Both produced by Oracle. One says "to pin a package..." and the other says "...to keep a package". What does that say about Oracle documentation???

Actually, of course, the term "pin" means a specific thing. The term "keep" means a specific thing.

It seems a triviality to make sure that we use the correct term to refer to the correct thing. But apparently, this is beyond the wit of most DBAs. I suppose this is why we keep getting posts about 'shutting down a database' or 'closing an Instance'.

HJR
> See Designing and Tuning for Performance, Oracle 8.1.6 (a76992.pdf)
 Chapter 13,