Re: Oracle 7 to Oracle 8i UPGRADE under Solaris. -- Please comment if you have done this!

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:32:59 GMT

    As I'm sure you are aware, doing the very significant OS and database migrations at the same time increases the possibilities for problems. We have gone from 7.2 to 8i but not the way you're doing it. My recollection is that we had to go from 7.2 to 7.3.4 first, although we skipped 8.0x. Check with Oracle on this. Also check that issues such as the change in rowid format, etc. won't have an impact.

    You didn't give any details on your plan, so it's hard for anyone here to comment. Do you get a chance to practice on a spare server? It sounds like because the hardware is identical you may be trying this on the same server that currently holds the database?

    If you can't practice, at least be sure you have a complete usable backup from just before your window and that you can restore/recover if necessary.

    And of course you are right about size. 8i is considerable fatter than 7.2

Van