Error with carriage returns embedded in PL/SQL code blocks

From: Tom Waterhouse <tomw_at_sabrix.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:02:22 -0700

This appears to be an Oracle specific issue, since it occurs with both the Oracle thin JDBC driver and OCI driver. If I attempt to execute a code block (declare... begin... end;) and the code has carriage returns ('\r') then an error occurs.

declare
  foo number;
begin
  foo := 5;
end;

The error is:

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-06550: line 1, column 8: PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "" when expecting one of the following:

   begin function package pragma procedure subtype type use    <an identifier> <a double-quoted delimited-identifier> cursor    form current

If I strip out the carriage returns then the block works just fine.

Know issue?

Tom Waterhouse
Software Engineer
Sabrix, Inc. Received on Mon Jul 09 2001 - 17:02:22 CDT