Re: OCP Tests...what's the best order

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 06:36:31 +1000

"VWP914" <vwp914_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:20010706223804.11563.00005517_at_ng-fc1.aol.com...
> I just passed the SQL/PSQL test and was about to start
> studying for the Architecture and Administration test.
> However, my Sybex study guide stated that it is generally recommended
> that the Architecture/Admin. & the Backup/Recovery test be the last ones
> taken. They didn't give any reasons. Does anyone know why they would
> recommend this change in the order? Any recommendations would be helpful.
>
> Thomas
> Sun Certified, OCP wannabe (just wanna be cool)

Are you certain that's what it says???! The order in which people generally attend the courses is: DBA, followed swiftly (within a few weeks) by Backup and Recovery, followed by Performance Tuning after several months of real, hands-on experience. The networking course is generally taken last, but frankly, it's two days spent editing three text fles, and I reckon you could take it pretty well any time you like.

DBA and BUR are actually called Part 1a and Part 1b of the Enterprise and Administration course, so that gives you some idea that even Oracle considers them to be closely related. Oh, and incidentally, Performance Tuning is actually called Part 2 of the Enterprise and Administration course. And (surprise, surprise) Networking Administration is actually called Part 3.

I'll vouch for the fact that DBA and BUR are at about the same level of difficulty to teach, and that both assume the students are practically beginners. Networking is in a class of its own, but has very little to do with the RDBMS engine itself. Performance Tuning is a swine to teach by comparison, and is most definitely the one you want to leave till last, until you know basic Oracle backwards.

I'd be interested in hearing their explanation for the proposed shift in the order of things, too!!

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Jul 08 2001 - 15:36:31 CDT