Re: Hardware for OLTP application

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 06 Jul 2001 10:57:55 +0100 (BST)

Matthew Lam <yklam308_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We're trying to get an idea on what hardware to deploy an Oracle database
>for OLTP application with approx 300 concurrent connections. Any suggestion
>will be greatly appreciated!

Just a number of connections isn't really enough data to size a system on, even to within an order of magnitude. It depends far too much on the app.

Is it a custom app or off-the-shelf? If off-the-shelf, your vendor should have some sort of sizing model. If custom, is there time to benchmark before the hardware purchase?

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/