Accessing External API DLLs from Database

From: Mike <nospam_at_please.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:53:28 +1000

Hi There,

We are considering purchasing and integrating a Quick Address System for verify addresses and returning barcodes for the address records that we have stored in our 8.1.6.1 NT 4 Database.

We are thinking of using foreign package calls from within the database to access their provided API DLL which was written in C++.

As I haven't implemented any foreign function calls before, I'm keen to know if this is one of Oracles "Features" that never really worked, or whether it is a reliable option that we can use.

Can anyone guide me and tell me how steep the learn curve is to getting foreign functions up and running? Is the database efficient at using foreign function calls, or does it introduce memory leaks and instabilities? How good is it at type conversions to and from the DLLs?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Cretan Received on Wed Jul 04 2001 - 20:53:28 CDT